Translate

Friday, January 2, 2015

Remodeling and Renovating 2015



We are human; we are people of habit- usually bad habit.  We choose the easiest and most comfortable path without even thinking about it.  Our self-control and self-restraint is almost non-existent in today’s culture.  So we make ourselves feel good by making resolutions.

I do not like resolutions.  Usually resolutions are said in passing by those who wish for change but never take the action needed.

That’s why I prefer lifestyle remodeling and heart renovating.

With God’s help, that is what I will be working on in 2015.  I’m remodeling my lifestyle and renovating my heart because I want it to actually HAPPEN!  Supposedly it takes a minimum of 21 days to form a habit; average length of time for a habit to become a habit is about 66 days.  So if I start something now and can last till the first week of March, it will most likely become natural to me (pretty exciting, isn’t it!).

I’ll be vulnerable and share some of my goals for 2015-
  • -healthier eating
  • -continuing a daily exercise regime
  • -keeping up with birthday, encouragement, thank-you, and sympathy cards and gifts
  • -taking those daily vitamins, shots of apple cider vinegar, and probiotics
  • -formulating and sticking at a better devotional schedule
  • -making more godly music choices
  • -investing in the friendships around me
  • -bringing joy to my family
  • -focusing on the rainbows instead of the rain
  • -flossing and wearing my retainers every night=p
  • finding ways to do something for someone else each and every day.
Some of these you might laugh at, but I think it’s good to break bad habits and form good ones, no matter how big or small they may be.  Whether it’s flossing or deciding which radio station to listen to, each decision plays part in building up that self-control which is essential to godly character!

How to last in a routine till March?  I’ll share some of the ways that have worked for me.
  1. First and foremost, ask for God’s strength.  Nothing is to small for Him, and He loves us asking for His help!
  2. Find an accountability partner who will check in on a daily or weekly basis to see how you are doing.
  3. Make rewards for yourself (could be a new pair of shoes, piece of chocolate, drink at Starbucks…).
  4. Find ways to keep whatever you are doing exciting.  Switch up exercises (go ice-skating, play soccer, do a workout dvd…), go online and search for good books/movies/music you didn’t know about that can replace the questionable ones you have been reading/watching/listening to, find a new herb to incorporate into your healthy meals to kick up the flavor, buy fun-colored floss, get a special pen for devotional times, do insanely awesome things for other people (like send them anonymous gift cards, kidnap them for a night out, go help them at work for half a day- if permitted, deliver a huge handful of balloons to their front door), and just be CREATIVE!!!
  5. Keep a written checklist/diary/journal.  There are free apps out there as well that will help you track your journey in prayer, exercise, letter-writing, or whatever you are interested in.
  6. Take one day at a time; looking far ahead or making impossible goals will only overwhelm you.
  7. Don’t beat yourself up and give up if you miss a day or mess up; just get right back on track.
  8. Take courage in the change you see.
  9. Talk to people who struggled with your same problem, yet eventually conquered it.
  10. Write yourself notes or find things that will motivate you.  I keep a before/after picture of my weight-loss journey on my mirror to remind myself how much healthier and happier I feel when I exercise.  I also write crazy notes to myself on my alarm so that I am sure to motivate myself when I am completely unmotivated to do anything but sleep.
  11. Remind yourself of how much better of a friend, sibling, child, spouse, teacher, employee, witness, example, child of God… you will be if you gain control of whatever habit you are trying to break or form.
  12. Thank God profusely, and celebrate when you achieve a goal.  It doesn’t mean that you won’t ever forget to floss those teeth or have nightmares when it comes to doing dreaded jumping lunges, but it will become much easier when it becomes a daily habit.
I’d love to hear about your 2015 renovation/remodeling plans and what you have found motivational in reaching your past goals!  Please feel free to share=)

Blessing on your New Year,

MarJ

No comments:

Post a Comment