Translate

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The moral of the Chocolate Chip Cookie

  It all started when I was making some chocolate chip cookies last week. 

I had on my white apron; the oven was warming up; I had the cookie sheets all greased and ready; and the wooden spoon was in my hand. 

I started to get out the ingredients I needed.  It was all the basics - like- brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, water, baking soda, baking powder, flour, and chocolate chips.  My recipe book was laying open, and my attention was focused on making sure I followed every step properly.  I absentmindedly picked up the one-cup measuring container and put in the correct amount of white sugar and brown sugar; but when I went to add in the eggs....well, let's just say that there was quite a commotion. 

Brown Sugar started it all, "Well, what do we have here?  Some ole' runny Eggs coming into our territory and trying to cut in on our business!" 

Of course, White Sugar couldn't keep her mouth shut, "That's right, Brownie, we have someone that thinks they are mighty important.  Takes alot of nerve to show up looking the way they do." 

"Enough!  We have every right to be here.  I'd say that we're one of the most important ingredients there could be in chocolate chip cookies," remarked the irritated Eggs.

"Ha!  One of the most important?  You are one vain ingredient.  Everyone knows that the most important part of chocolate chip cookies is the chocolate chips," scoffed the Chocolate Chips from the counter where they lay.

"Well, most important or not, I don't think anyone should be in this bowl but the Sugar family," replied Brown Sugar.  "Our family goes way back.  The Sugars are renowned and well-known throughout the generations of time."

"Noone knows about baking and chocolate chip cookies more than we do," piped in Baking Soda and Baking Powder.  "If everyone would just go back to their place in the cupboard and let us in control, we would have the best cookies out there." 

I would like to keep dialoguing the conversation for you; but the argument became so heated with everyone talking at once, that it would be nearly impossible to recollect everything that was said. 

I then knew that I needed to intervene and try to work out this problem before all my ingredients became so overheated in the process that I would never get my chocolate chip cookies done. 

"Time out!" I yelled as I waved my wooden spoon in the air. 

There was a dead silence as everyone turned to look at me. 

"You all think that you know best, that you are the best, and that you don't need each other.  Well, we are just going to see exactly how grand and special you are on your very own.-------------It's time to hold a baking contest!" I announced with a twinkle in my eye.

Cheers erupted as each ingredient boasted of a sure win.  I started to get out more bowls.  In one- I placed Baking Soda and Baking Powder, in another- the Eggs, in a third- the Chocolate Chips, and fortunately for the dishwasher (which was myself)- White and Brown Sugar already had their bowl.  I then came to Water.

"I don't want to be by myself," he remarked.  "I'm not anything special.  I can't do anything.  Just leave me out of this." 

I didn't reply to his remark, but kept it in the back of my head. 

"On your mark, get set, go!" I said.

Oh, what happened next brought tears of laughter to my eyes.  How I wish you could see the way they acted.  The Sugars sat there and thought and thought about how would be the best way to go about this; the Eggs swirled and swirled around in the bowl with no result except getting whipped up in a frenzy; the Chocolate Chips didn't do a thing- thinking that they were enough just as they were; and Baking Soda was barking orders to Baking Powder which ended up confusing them both.

When I could see that they were exhausted and quiet (after about twenty minutes), I took them all and poured them in my mixing bowl and started to stir and stir them together.  I finally added in Water to the mixture telling him that he was actually quite needed to this process, put the dough on sheets and stuck them in the oven.  After fifteen minutes, soft and gooey chocolate chips were cooling on my counter. 

So all that to say, that, even though I wish my ingredients were so talkative and interesting; none of that really did happen.  But I couldn't help but think about what it would be like if that were true.  For devotions last week, I read in

1 Corinthians 12:12-27

King James Version (KJV)
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

Until we work together as ONE INGREDIENT instead of separate ones, we will never get those chocolate chip cookies made.  And not one ingredient is more or less important than the rest. 

I think I will try to think of that each time I reach for a chocolate chip cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment