Translate

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tribute Paper to Grandma

This is the paper that I had the privilege to write for Grandma's viewing and funeral.  Hopefully this is a small way that I can do one last special thing for her.

Edith Rebecca Newswanger Seibel Good
 
On June 30, 1925, Amos and Lydia introduced their baby girl, Edith, to the world. Edith enjoyed her childhood days with her brothers and sisters- Walter, Paul, Elsie, Raymond, Amos Jr., Lester, Robert, Richard, and Anna. She admired her strict yet fun-loving father and her bubbly mother.

As an adult, she would often like to talk about what it was like growing up in the Great Depression and World War II. In 1937, she made the most important decision in her life when she accepted Christ at revival meetings and was later baptized. She made another important decision when she decided to court a young man named Leonard Seibel. They were married on April 5, 1947, and she filled all the duties of a wife while also holding a job at a shoe factory. She was soon to be called Mother when she brought her fist child into the world in 1948. The rest followed in 1949, 1950, 1951, 1954, 1955, 1958, 1960, and 1966. With nine children to keep fed, clothed, and schooled, her days were filled from morning to evening. Soon, she watched as her children started to find partners and make their own homes.

One would think that her life would have slowed down once she no longer had her children to care for, but she made sure it did not. She quilted with church sewing circles, she went swap meeting to buy items- wash them up- and resell them, she had a stand for Spring Glen Foods, and she lovingly created scrapbooks for each of her forty-one grandchildren. She enjoyed going to Kmart blue special sales and stocking up on clothing articles to give to Christian Aid Ministries. Christmas, birthday parties, and family reunions were highlights in her life. She loved to be surrounded by her children, grandchildren, and now seventy-seven great- grandchildren. On May 29, 2001, her husband, Leonard, passed away, leaving her a widow.

She married Paul Good in March 22, 2003, and started a new path in life. She also gained five more children, twenty-seven grandchildren, and seventy-six great-grandchildren through the remarriage. A few years later, she started to become afflicted with dementia. It frustrated her to not be able to remember things anymore. Her condition continued to worsen until Paul could no longer care for her. She was moved to her daughter, Shirley Martin’s place. She experienced a lot of confusion, anxiety, and nervousness; but on her good days, she was able to enjoy the animals around the place and walks outside.

At age eighty-seven on September 4, 2012, she was peacefully called Home. She had faced quite a few hardships in life, but now she can truly sing one of her favorite songs, “…Sweet home of the happy and free; Fair haven of rest for the weary, How beautiful Heaven must be.”

Children’s Memories:

Edith: Mom was very practical, not a complainer about circumstances of life, whether it was physical or otherwise. She worked hard to provide for her family. I’m very thankful for her example to make the best of what life brings your way. I will always remember her ready smile.

Jane: She taught me what it was to be a good hostess. She loved company and always gave them the best of everything- from offering the nicest chairs to making a huge meal and seeing that they got enough. Whenever she was invited way, she would make sure to take an apron along so she could help clean up and do the dishes.

Laverne: I was Mom’s kitchen helper, and I also was able to help her with swap meets for about ten years. I will never forget how she could take horrible-looking things and turn them into beautiful items. She especially had a talent for transforming teddy bears. She loved to iron and was indeed the best ironer in the world.

Darlene: The first memory I think of when I think of Mom was the time when there were three of us children in bed for three months with nephritis. How she could be so patient and caring, I can not fathom. The doctor said that we should have been in the hospital but he knew Mom would be a good nurse; so he let us stay at home under Mom’s care. I also remember Mom as the best cook; though we were poor, she could make food out of nothing. I still get hungry for her good meals.

Shirley: My memory of Mom that I would like to share is from some of the last times I had with her. For the last four months, she stayed at my place. I still remember how she loved the animals when we would take walks outside. That was a highlight in her life.

Lydia: Mom would sometimes buy us hand-blown animals. Those were so special to me. As a child, I also looked forward to when she would get candy and divide it out for us. She was a very sweet mother.

Margie: Mom always kept us well cared for with clean clothing and good food.

Dale: After my first wife, Joyce, died and I was widower with young children, Mom would walk to my place every morning (five days a week for three years) to make breakfast, dress the children, make sure they got to school, do the dishes, and baby sit Doris until the older children got back from school in the afternoon. I also remember that she helped me a lot with my homework when I was a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment