Translate

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The collector and the tea cup

I don't know if I really qualify to have the title "Collector".  That name brings images to my mind of scavenging squirrels stocking up on their supply of acorns--- or I could word it in a regular and boring way and say--- that name brings images to my mind of dedicated individuals searching and collecting certain items of their interests of which they are very knowledgeable. 

Well, I only have eight bone china tea cups and saucers, and I really do not know much about them; but I guess I will award myself the term of "Collector" for this post (it sounds a lot more professional, don't you think?). 

Why am I writing about my collection of bone china tea cups?  Basically, it is because I was awoken to the rude reality of realization. 

Whenever I visit a thrift shop or antique store and see a neglected bone china tea cup and saucer, I pull it from its dusty confines and speculate on the great find I just made.  I can picture myself holding a $2,000 item in my hand that someone had overlooked and sold for $.50.  I take my precious treasure home, wash it up, gently display it in my room, and look on it with pride- waiting for the day when the discovery will be made that I could be a millionaire if I would allow my fine collection to be placed in a grand museum.

But today, I finally decided to try to locate the value of my collection by myself and put a little work into bringing in my extreme wealth (since no museum had called me up yet).  I wrote down every little piece of information I could find, and I memorized the pattern print, and I sat down at the computer to embark on the information dig.

The more I looked and scanned the pages, the sadder I became.  I started to see my million dollars drift away and vanish.  No museum would be knocking on my door and begging for the china cup that an empress had lifted to her lips, or the china cup that was the only one of its kind to survive a major rickshaw wreck as it was being transported in a big wooden box.

Alas, my imaginings were all in vain.  Heartbreaking, isn't it?, when you find out what you have isn't going to buy that vacation trip around the world or build that cute chalet in the Alps. 

It is so easy to pick up the "strike it rich" mentality.  I see advertisements all the time that proclaim that their business will make you rich in just a few days if you follow their simple guidelines or sell their amazing products.  I stand behind lots of people eagerly scratching their lottery cards hoping for "The Big Win."  There's t.v. shows proclaiming lots of money to the person that can just get the answer right.

This nation hopes and dreams for instant wealth for two reasons:  1. They are tired of working hard and would rather lay back and let a lucky win keep them comfy for the rest of their lives and 2. They can't possibly acquire all their "wants" without the cash to buy them.

Since when did it become such an awful thing to work hard and buy just the basic items of food, some clothes, and a place to live?  Why does there have to be the best of phones, computers, cars, vacations, homes, stocks, and retirement tacked on as needs and requirements to live a happy life?

All I have seen come from the search of "instant wins" and "lucky breaks" is a bunch of unhappy people spending more money on trying to win than what their chances are of ever getting it back. 

Don't get me wrong.  I am one of the firmest believers of dreaming big and reaching for the stars, but I believe that it should be done on hard work and not just the chance of luck.  Besides, wouldn't we be happier if we just do our best and let God take care of the rest?

Well, that's all that this tea cup collector has to say for this week.  Blessings for your journey until I cross your path next week!  (And don't forget to drink your tea) 

No comments:

Post a Comment