Translate

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Just a Dustrag

Just a dustrag


ImageDaily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately)

 by michelle w. on February 6, 2014
What’s the household task you most dislike doing? Why do you think that is — is it the task itself, or something more?  Photographers, artists, poets: show us HOME.  http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/daily-prompt-home-2/

—-Growing up, I was always in charge of the dusting.  I hate dusting!  No matter how hard I try to make it entertaining, it just does not work.  I turn the music up loud, switch the order in which I dust the rooms, and listen to audio stories; but nothing does the trick. 

I would spend hours as a child trying to get everything dusted perfectly, because a mother always seems to know when you miss something.  I looked forward to the day when I would no longer need to dust a house, because I would be traveling the world or doing some other non-domestic thing.  As you can most likely guess, I still am dusting.  In fact, I have a few rooms upstairs calling my name right now- just waiting for their layer of dead skin follicles, road dirt, and (whatever else makes up dust) to be removed.

I think it is more than just dusting in itself that I dislike.  Yes, I hate having to remove all the decorations off of the furniture, polishing the wood, cleaning the little items, placing them back, and making sure that I actually did get all the dust and did not simply move it around….but it is more than that.  I detest the time I spend doing something that I do not enjoy when I could be doing something that I do enjoy, like writing or reading or playing the piano. 

Somehow I need to realize that I can try to flee the things I hate, but sooner or later the chore of dusting or something else I dislike will find me and need to be done in order that my life can flow smoothly and properly.  Plus, the heart and energy I put into the little things will translate into the way I do the big “important” things.  

The best thing for me is to buckle down and just DO it.  I guess I need those things so that it makes the enjoyable moments all the sweeter.  I think it makes God smile when we can do the things like dusting to the best of our ability with as much joy as if we were cruising the Mediterranean.

Colossians 3:23  King James Version (KJV)-   “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.”

Blessings to each person today as you do those seemingly annoying and worthless tasks that you just can’t stand, and may it instead become a way of showcasing God’s glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment