Translate

Monday, February 3, 2014

The Snow Zoe----In Flattery of Dr. Seuss

Image

Daily Prompt: The Sincerest Form of Flattery

by michelle w. on February 3, 2014
Publish a post in the style of a favorite author/blogger or photographer.

Photographers, artists, poets: show us COPIES.

I looked outside-
And what should I see?
But piles of snow covering up our trees.

I put on my jacket,
My hat, scarf, and boots,
And rushed out the door with a holler and hoot.

I ran through the drifts
And flung snow ’round my head,
But then stopped as if I had been struck dead.

For there came a creature
As big as a house
With purple feathers and a yellow-toothed mouth.

“Who are you?” I squeaked
From behind the tree
Where I ran for protection from this thing close to me.

“I’m a Zoe,” it laughed,
“And I come once a year
When the snow is its highest and the cold is near.

I see you are lonely-
not a friend by your side
And you can’t have winter fun with noone close by.”

The Zoe grabbed my hand
And twirled me around
Till I flew through the air far up from the ground.

I danced with the snowflakes
And tasted ice crystals.
I skated upon the lake while I whistled.

I slid from soft branches
Like a rollercoaster ride
And all with the good faithful Zoe by my side.

We built a snowman-
I stuck on the nose
And Zoe sculpted shoes to cover its toes.

The day grew darker
And the light went away;
I knew it was only a matter of time till Mom would say,

“Come in, Laura, dear,
It is now time to eat.
Please wash up and warm up and then take your seat.”

So I looked at my friend,
And he looked at me;
And we both knew for certain that now he must leave.

“Goodbye, Little Friend,”
He started to say,
“This once a year ritual has been a great day!

No more will you see me-
I visit just once,
And come back no more to a place where I was.

But remember each snowfall
A big fluffy Zoe
Who was willing to be your friend in the snow.

And go look for someone as lonely as you
And be to them Zoe
And do as I do.

For you’ll find if you do that
Each time you’ll have fun
And have happy memories for years yet to come.”

I watched as the Zoe
Shook his long purple feathers
And then walked away to the wild lonely heather.

And I waved goodbye
To my yellow-toothed Zoe
Who taught me to reach out and have fun in the snow!

-MarJanita LaRosa
in form of Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment