Translate

Monday, April 7, 2014

Do, Re, Mi...

Image
Daily Prompt:  If you’re feeling blah, what is the one thing you do that you can count on to put a smile on your face?

As I was growing up, whenever there was some kind of emotional problem in the family, Dad’s solution was to SING.  When my brother and I were scared, we would sing “When I am afraid, I will trust in Him”.  When I was complaining, I would have to sing “Count your many blessings”.  As weird as it sounds, it worked.  At first I would grudgingly mutter the words, but before long there was complete energy and volume coming out of my mouth and a smile upon my face.

Even now, when I am in “the depths of despair” (a quote I can’t help but love from Anne of Green Gables), I will go sit down at the piano, pull out a songbook, and start singing random songs to lift my mood.

There are times when life seems so hard that the last thing a person wants to do is sing….but I have found that those are the times when singing is needed the most.  No matter how hard it is, it needs to be done.

Singing in some unexplainable way has power with it.  Watch a crowd at a concert compared to a crowd at a speaking event.  Music reaches the soul faster than words.  Somehow it is easier to sing one’s feelings than to speak them.

God designed music from the beginning of time- listen to the birds chirping, waves crashing, leaves rustling, wind howling, kittens purring, rain dripping, thunder rolling, and children giggling.  The whole earth can’t help but join in the symphony of praise to the Creator.  That, I believe, is why music can put a smile on my face when I am feeling blah.  God allows us to use music as a form of prayer and communication with Him when feelings can not be put into mere words.

Of course whatever God made for good, the Enemy tries to destroy and warp.  Just as positive music can uplift, motivate, and encourage so can negative music discourage, irritate, and incite harmful passions and thoughts.  Music is so powerful, that left in the wrong hands, it can cause chaos and confusion and a ripping of the soul.   That is why the lyrics of a song are very important as well, because words with music are absorbed more quickly than the spoken word by itself.

Don’t quite believe yet the power of song?

David’s playing of the harp quieted the evil spirit within Saul.

Paul and Silas’ singing sparked an earthquake.

On the last night with His disciples, Jesus sang with them.

Miriam burst into song after the crossing of the Red Sea.

David, the man after God’s own heart, was continually singing and writing psalms.

Athletes take advantage of music to boost their training.

Research is being done on how music helps those suffering from dementia and autism.

Music therapy is used to help some hospital patients.

It is being discovered that music causes the brain to release dopamine, which is a chemical responsible for feelings of pleasure.

Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Isn’t it beautiful that we hold such an important key within our larynx!  That key unlocks the door to our soul so that God can refresh and renew us when we lift our voices up to Him through songs of praise and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment